Friday, February 8, 2008

Its been a couple weeks since I posted, but thats mostly because I was overwhelmed by the number of pictures I had, and not because I haven't been doing anything. These last two weekends have been great, I did a lot of traveling, and am still thoroughly enjoying myself. I'm splitting this round of pictures up between a few posts, so they're a little better organized.

On January 26th, I went to Midleton with my roommate and a couple friends to visit the Jameson Whiskey Distillery. The town was pretty close, about a 20 minute bus ride from Cork, and pretty small. There was a farmers market going on when we arrived, so we had lunch there, then went to the distillery. It was a pretty cool tour that explained the whole whiskey-making process, and my roommate got to do a whiskey tasting with Irish, American, and Scotch whiskeys. After that, we did a little bit of church hopping, and saw a couple of very impressive churches and a ridiculously old cemetery.

The Old Midleton Distillery

A Five-Thousand Euro Bottle of Whiskey





A waterwheel that used to power the distillery.


The casks in the middle showed whiskey that was aged about 1 year, 3 years, 6 years, 12 years, and 18 years.

This was Midleton's main Catholic Church.



I'd never seen a cemetery so crowded, the gravestones were nearly on top of each ot

Midleton's Church of Ireland, surrounded by many very, very old graves.



We saw this in downtown Midleton on the way out. I still can't figure out why there's a clothing display in the window of a funeral home.

No comments: